Day Off


Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.
Genesis 2:1-3 ESV


I took the day off. As an entrepreneur, that can be a difficult thing to do. The temptation to work on things can be very strong, even after everything has been buttoned up for your time away. Despite the call of unread emails, I managed to really be off from work. It was a tremendous feeling. Allowing my mind to rest from all of my job responsibilities was long overdue. This was very unexpected since I am off on the weekends and I thought I had been resting.

As I took the time off on this weekday, I noticed my thought pattern was completely different than it is on the weekend. Work tends to bleed over into the weekend, whether it's checking email or just continually thinking about projects or things that need to be done. This time I purposed not to do that and focused my thoughts on relaxing. Planning to relax may seem counterintuitive, but knowing ahead of time that I was going to intentionally not work did a world of wonders to help me enjoy my day off.

God established the pattern of resting after working. He worked for six days then rested on the seventh day. I think what was different about this day of rest was the blessing I assigned to it. When I decided to take this day off, I truly set it apart. God tells us to be holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:16, Leviticus 11:44). Moving forward, I hope to be obedient to God's word and continue to choose to rest more intentionally. 

Comments

Popular Posts