Dandelions

You had an idea for a garden. You made a plan. You bought the seeds, dirt, mulch, and tools. You picked the perfect spot in your yard and you got to work. Now the soil is perfect and ready for the beautiful flower seeds you selected. You can't wait to see them once they start blooming. So you carefully plant each variety in just the right spot. You ensure they're going to get the proper light and set up the watering system so it's perfectly irrigated. It's been a labor of love and in a few short weeks, you begin to see the signs of green.

But then you see yellow. Lots of yellow. And every day, it seems like more yellow is there than the day before. How did this happen? Where did a garden of dandelions come from when you planted daisies, marigolds, and Black Eyed Susans?

Dandelions provide a mixed bag of opinions. Some think they are great. They have many uses such as food, medicine, and dyes. Others think they are obnoxious weeds that ruin lawns and gardens. For this illustration, I'm going with the latter opinion. I recently spent a lot of time tending the garden of my heart. I excavated out rocks of hardness. I tilled the dirt with the tiller of forgiveness. I planted seeds of love and the word of God. And just when I saw some signs of growth, I also saw some dandelions of bitterness!

I didn't understand how bitterness could start to appear when I had been so attentively tending to my heart. But just like dandelion seeds can travel on the wind up to five miles away from their plant of origin, seeds of bitterness can crop up in your heart without your awareness. Although the seeds may spring up, they do not have to take root. Hebrews 12:15 ESV tells us,

See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled. 

I won't say dandelions are inevitable, but I will say they are highly likely to come mess up your landscape. Whether they are in your yard or in your heart, take notice and pull them out by the roots.

Comments

Popular Posts