The Former Things


“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. The wild animals honor me, the jackals and the owls, because I provide water in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland, to give drink to my people, my chosen, the people I formed for myself that they may proclaim my praise.”
Isaiah 43:18-21 NIV
This is one of my favorite passages of scripture. It reminds me that our great God is constantly at work and moving ahead. And although He is progressive in action, He is unchanging in His character and purpose. This year, the Lord has been calling me to forget the former things so that I can see the new thing He is doing in my life.

What are the former things? Former things are the training wheels on a bicycle and the guardrails at the bowling alley. They are anything that the Lord was using in your life to train you so that you could move to the next level. I have had many experiences that served as my training wheels that I am now called to take off so that I can confidently maneuver freely in the new thing.

What is the new thing? The new thing is the next level in the purpose and work God has prepared for you to do. Just like a game may have many levels, its goal is consistent. You start at level one, which was new when you started, but once you reach level 10, level one becomes a former thing. Level 11 then becomes a new thing. And just like at level one, God will give you all you need to advance through dry places so that when you make it through, you may proclaim His praise.

I encourage you to identify what is now a former thing so that you may move into the new thing God has prepared for you. It could be a good thing, like a service opportunity or a childhood friend. It could be something negative, like a bad habit or sin. Once you know what it is, ask God to show you how to address it. You can trust that He will and that He will make a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

Originally written for the Gospel Community Rivermont Newsletter

Comments

Popular Posts